[PyrNet-L] Heidi in Puppy Pre-School

Well, I'm stumped.   In pre-school, Heidi did everything for Sherry (the trainer) with little or no cajoling.  Note - I said "for the trainer".  She obeyed NO commands from me except "sit" which she is wont to do anyway.  I was all but invisible, non-existent if you will.  When class was over & we got home, I went over each command with her..... as you have probably surmised, she was happy to oblige me & executed all commands as if  she had been doing them for me all along!

Our new command is the "down" command.  She is loathe to do this one, even for her Daddy.  We have had to resort to treats. Bribery will get you anywhere, especially with Pyrs.

This is our last session for pre-school..... we graduate on Wednesday..... I am truly pleased with the results because Heidi listens at home & that's the whole idea.

The next training session is for adult dogs.  Heidi would have been allowed to participate, but we decided that Chewbear needs the training more.  We have great difficulty walking him.  I firmly believe that when we go outdoors, we turn into sleds that he must pull over the Frozen Tundra as quickly as possible & woe be to the person/object that gets in his way.  He does settle down after a couple of miles but by then we are ready for CPR!

Also, part of our decision not to take her rests with Sherry.  The one time that Chewbear came to class with Heidi for a few minutes was not pleasant.  A little Lab puppy was being slightly aggressive to Heidi.  Chewbear got between them & growled at the Lab.  We did not know that he was so protective of her.  Sherry said that until we have him under better control, we should try to train one at a time.  This is okay because Heidi tries to imitate Chewbear's actions & pretty much does what he does.  This includes trying to pee like him....what a funny sight that is!!!! I'll keep you all posted as to her progress.

We have had a couple of instances where Heidi has put her teeth on us in recent days.  Thanks to all the suggestions. we were ready & think we have the potential problem nipped in the bud, so to speak.  We are sure she was just testing the waters to see if such behavior would be acceptable. She quickly found out it was a BIG mistake.

Our biggest problem right now is digging. Not only does she think THE GREAT OUTDOORS is hers to excavate, she tries to dig up my house plants.  I have some very large plants that are in planters on wheels & sit on the floor.  One is a Jade & the other is a Snake plant.  She has attempted to dig them up a few times.  We then discuss with her the possible repercussions of messing with Mom's plants & confine her for a while.  I think we are making progress.  I can hardly wait until she grows up & becomes as good as you all tell me adult Pyrs can be.  Chewbear was the same way as a pup & he is a true gentleman now & has not made any kind of mess in the house for a very long time.  When Heidi gets scolded, he runs for the hills.

I wanted to say to "ALBERT", way to go, glad you are feeling better.  Also wanted to thank the lady with the jelly bean suggestion for car sickness.  Heidi tosses her cookies periodically & I'm sure she wouldn't object to eating a few jelly beans.

Question re sandbox:  Does your Pyr urinate in the sand? Do you get sand fleas? We are contemplating a sandbox for Heidi since our lawn mower almost disappeared into one of her holes.

Hope all is well with everyone out there. Have a good week.... will have one more epistle from pre-school.

Kathy, Joe, Chewbear(Sammy) and Heidi(pyr)
Wish you well.. Woof, Woof