Re: [PyrNet-L] Kindergarten

Hi Deanna,

Just adding my two cents to Kathy's sound advice.

Could you tell us what the trainer is trying to teach through the "step-on"
leash? I can think of at least 2 things- Down & possible Settle. If they're
trying to teach Down- I agree with Kathy that that should come after your
puppy has got all the basic stuff (Sit, etc.) fairly solid. There are also
easier ways to teach Down (e.g. consult any Ian Dunbar book or video). If
they're trying to teach Settle. That can take a little longer and there are
again other ways to teach this.

It's your judgement call- but if Lucy is resisting too much, and not simply
because it's something new she has to learn that she's not sure she
particularly likes, I would try something else. Because ultimately she may
learn to do it for you (with the leash on) but then if she's developed a
negative attitude toward it, may not do it for you with leash off. Plus, the
older and stronger she gets, the more of a struggle you may have on your
hands. If you can't execute it quickly (after you've gotten the hang of it,
etc.) and get a quicker response from Lucy (not necessarily lightning-speed
but not molasses-speed either), then she may develop a really negative
attitude towards any sort of obedience since it's no longer fun- and you
won't want to keep practicing because it's not fun either.

About the babbling, I do talk to Mukki a lot (just various explanations-
even if he may not understand all or any of it). I try not to use his name
(either when "conversing" with him or talking about him to others unless I'm
far far away from him and hearing distance) because I want the "Mukki,
COME!" to be more effective (and have to enforce it if he doesn't). In fact,
he often starts to come when I say "Mukki..." before I get to the COME!
part- so more work to do still.

Having said that, I tend to naturally have a low-speaking voice (which is
often mistaken for a man's). And when we train, I do sometimes use a
high-pitched, cartoon-character sort of voice. Watch what your dog does when
you use different pitches. Especially, when he was younger (though this is
still true these days), it's easier to get a puppy's focus and attention
with a higher-pitched voice. You don't have to coo at them- but you can
focus their attention on you. If I'm excited about something (OOOh! Look at
this Chew Toy!!!- Mukki, Sit." I find our sessions go faster as he's keen
and more focused. There may be some truth to the point they'll tune you out
if it just goes on and on. But then, a change in your tone/pitch should be
able to get their attention again.

Incidentally, don't worry about treats as an aid to learning. There have
been various posts here about how pyrs learn or do not. At the end of the
day, you've got to figure out what motivates your dog, who is unique. If
peanut butter works for you, use it! You can always phase out food treats
gradually once they've learned a command- and substitute something else. If
play time works for you, use that. Strokes, belly rubs, whatever it is. And
don't forget to have fun, and take time-outs when you need them (or the dog
does), when your patience/enthusiasm is ebbing, etc.

Best wishes,
Christina