Re: [PyrNet-L] Kindergarten

Deanna and Lucy, our trainer uses a slightly different method of getting a
dog into the "down."  She has us get down on the left side of the dog,
with the dog in a sitting position,
give the command and the hand signal, then if the dog doesn't go down,
gently take her two front paws and ease her into a down. That's what I've
been doing with Ivy Rose in class--she has yet to do it there without my
assistance! At home, she'll do it for treats with just the command and the
hand signal.
In terms of the "babbling incessantly," I can relate to both sides of
that! Our trainer observed early on that Paddington was paying little
attention to my voice, probably because he'd heard me cooing at him almost
constantly since he was a little over 2 months old! One tip that might
help is to isolate or generally somewhat ignore the dog/puppy for 15-30
minutes immediately before your training sessions. It should make her/him
more responsive when you start to train.
Ann W