[PyrNet-L] Is it too late?

Hello.  I am the owner of an 11 month old neutered pyr named Oscar.  We are a family of four; two small kids, my husband and I.  We both work, but I come home every lunch hour to care for Oscar.  Oscar spends ½ day in our large fenced yard, the other part in his kennel.  I walk him nightly, play with him everyday.

Here is my question:  If we begin obedience training this fall, is it too late?  I have done some very basic training with Oscar so far, and he does ok.  He'll sit on command; he sure understands a firm "No".  He won't come.  He will stay.  Walks continue being a tug fest.  But, as long as I keep the lead very short and gradually let out as he calms down, we're ok.  He is not aggressive with other dogs in the sense of causing harm.  Tails always wagging, but, he wants to meet all of them.  He has the very bad habit of jumping up on people, including my 8 year old and 4 year old.  They do not feel comfortable in the yard with him alone.  He does it much less while I am with them.  He never does it to me or my husband.  He has gotten into the habit of not wanting to come in after being out.  So, we play, "catch me if you can" in the yard now.  Very frustrating.  So..... any advice?  Am I rotten for waiting too long?  The class that we want him to go to begins again in the fall, the waiting list has been very long.  We could have gone to other classes with other people, but, frankly, after talking with them, I didn't like their approach.

Thanks everyone!

Rose Foster and Oscar de la Foster