Re: [PyrNet-L] Intro and question

Hi Deanna,

Some things I would add to Galaxi's post-
Despite the fact that your friends both work during the week, they can and
should work on the progressive time periods of being away on the weekend.
Treat it really normally. Even if they can only do a quick 10-minute away.
That will help if it's practiced so that Kita gets the idea that they will
come back- and sometimes sooner than she thinks.

If they don't want Kita to be crated- could they put aside one room in the
house which is puppy-proof? e.g. a bathroom that has the toilet paper,
towels, etc. removed. They could see how she does with that- the other dogs
would still have the run of the house- and they can all be reunited joyfully
at the end of the day.

I'm kind of surprised the older dogs haven't taught Kita she isn't allowed
to chew on the couch. Have they tried spraying Bitter Apple on it?

Other things to try (though their efficacy really varies): tape record their
voices and have it play to Kita (10 hours straight if need be). Try to give
her a good walk in the morning before they leave (if possible). Leave more
tempting treats out that she has to work for- e.g. a Buster cube or a Kong
filled with goodies. As a last resort- but really this should be last,
medication may be possible if it's really out of hand and cannot be worked
with- through an animal behaviorist, pet sitter, etc.

Is it only the couch? Or are there other things? Are those things related to
what her humans spend the most time on/with/etc. (and carry their scent)?
Can you make her chew toys more enticing? e.g. more resistance, sounds,
textures, tastes... and limit the amount in any one room to no more than 3.

Also, whenever they leave or return- NO fuss. If they need to change clothes
first before a greeting, go to the bathroom, unload groceries, etc. do all
that, then calmly greet dog as if it's no big thing in the world that they
were gone.

I hope they keep trying- because over time, hopefully, as Kita develops
trust with them, this stage will pass. A crate might still be useful- if
they had a neighbor who could let her out for a mid-day break.

It's probably no consolation- but I'm still working on destructive chewing
myself with my pup. Part of what I've learned is to dramatically reduce the
level of temptation- e.g. I shut bathroom doors or remove the toilet paper
to where he can't reach it; shoes, etc. are kept in closed closets; clutter
on the floors is very minimal (or can be chewed upon!); wastebaskets are
placed out of reach; counters where he can jump up on are kept clear; and so
forth.

I don't intend on living my whole life this way- but we're all in the
learning process together. 9 months is still pretty young- and if she's had
some bad experiences, she needs to have a lot more of the good experiences
and solid patterns, routines, stability, and love- to form a better picture
of what's expected, etc. Obedience training helps too- are they enrolling
her in a course? Gradual exposure to other people should help as well- build
her esteem, etc.

Christina