Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: update after vet

At 07:03 PM 8/10/98 -0400, Dogsownme@aol.com wrote:

>The smaller one was 18.2 lbs and the larger one either 24 or 26 lbs (my head
>was spinning with all the information).
>I am curious about the theory of heartworm being passed on, and if this was
>talked about earlier, I apologize.

How old are they? 4 months? Little guys, aren't they?
I know hooks, rounds and whips can be passed through the mother's milk, but to
my knowledge heartworms can't be. The way the heartworm's life cycle works, a
mosquito carrying the heartworm larva would've had to have bitten the pups
(which I'm sure did happen) but the heartworm has to mature in the puppie's
heart for 6 months before they start breeding and you find the baby heartworms
in the pup's bloodstream via a heartworm test. I haven't worked at an animal
clinic in 2 yrs so I may be out of date here.
Another thing-all those adults and young adults who tested negative for
heartworms? They NEED to be re-tested in 6 months with an occult heartworm
test
(the more accurate one). They could be harbouring heartworms right now but the
heartworms in their bodies aren't mature enough to begin breeding so it
wouldn't show up on the test yet at this point. I'm going to send this to the
entire list for their information also. Marcie, I know you're not the one who
has contact with the adoptive homes (I don't think) but if you think of it,
you
might mention that to someone who does.
But-to the best of my knowledge, the pup's chances of being bitten by a
mosquito carrying the heartworm larva are increased when there's a heartworm
positive dog close by, but unless I'm badly mistaken heartworms can't be
passed
directly from mother to pups.

Mitzi Potter   OKC  OK
http://members.aol.com/pyrs/dogs.htm