Re: [PyrNet-L] New to Pyrnet

Paula

Welcome to the list!

you wrote:

> Our biggest concern right now is if a Pyr will get along with the dog we
have.
> She is a 2.5 yr. old, Australian Shepherd/Lab Mix.

I'd worry more about the Shepherd/Lab's reaction to the Pyr than
vice-versa.  We have four other dogs (mixed breeds), and when we brought
Rodman in, he was completely happy to be their buddy.  But my german
shepherd cross really had a hard time with that -- and sometimes still
does.  They occasionally fight, but Rodman does all he can to avoid the
fight usually.
I think it would also depend on the sexes of the dogs.  Rodman is a
neutered male, and gets along great with our female dogs (spayed) but not
as well with the other neutered males.

> Also, I have read that Pyrs must be kept in a fenced yard or on a leash
at all
> times. But then I see pictures of Pyrs that are walking without leads in
parades
> and out backpacking.

Ignore the pictures you have seen of them off-leash.  Don't let them free
to roam -- it's too risky.  I felt my Pyr was just fine to roam the farm
(we have no real close neighbors) for the first few weeks I had him, too.
Then one day he disappeared, and it was NINE days before he came home -- I
was already crying that I had lost him -- it was a VERY difficult time.
They can cover MILES of territory before you even know that they're gone.
Others on the list have said, and I now believe, that the Pyrs need a sense
of "boundaries" to know what their responsibility is, or they will try to
guard the whole world.  Like children, they need to know their limits.
I've taken mine in a parade, but would never have tried that without a
leash.  Too many new and unexpected things to startle a dog.

Tracy Pribbenow
pribb@feist.com