Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: PyrNet-L---- Breeding

Hi Sandy,
I'll give my 2 cents worth on this subject of line breeding and
outcrossing.  Although there have been some outstanding individual dogs
that are the result of outcross breedings (2 unrelated animals), all the
the well-known outstanding kennels that I can think of whose dogs show
consistent quality do line breed and , often,  in breed (the sire and
dam have common "quality" ancesters). Seldom will that dog of outcrossed
breeding reproduce itself.  There is much better probability of
predicting what the offspring will look like and also of producing
consistent quality in the case of linebreeding and in-breeding (breeding
of brother-sister, father-daughter, etc.)  The reason that dogs produced
by one breeder all look alike is usually due to line-breeding. Line
breeding and especially in-breeding require a lot of knowledge of all
the ancesters, their faults and strengths and which of these
characteristics they pass on to their pups. It can be disasterous to
line-breed on animals that carry serious faults.
Charlotte