Re: [PyrNet-L] Microchip question

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 Reisch3@aol.com wrote:

> Does it work?  Does it hurt them?  Would anyone recommend it?
>
> Thank you!
> ~Becky and Klondike

Yes, microchips do work.  The only issue may be one of the compatibility
of the scanners that read the chips.  When chips were fairly new, many
scanners were unable to read all the chips on the market although they had
no difficulty with their own company-manufactured chips.  You had to make
sure that the vets and shelters in your area had scanners that were
capable of reading the particular chips your vet implanted.  I'm not sure
if this is still a problem although the scanner manufacturers were
addressing this very issue at that time.  Anyway, check with your vet or
the chip/scanner manufacturers (AVID and HomeAgain?) on this matter.

Both my dogs were implanted a couple of years ago and I watched their
reaction.  They were in no pain.  It's over and done with very quickly.
It's fairly inexpensive and the registration is good for the pet's life.
Go for it!

David
  & Dixie, Chowmix (U-CD Dixie Over the Top, CGC)
    & Summer, Great Pyrenees (trying to make sense of all the initials :))

"Life is a journey, not a destination."