Re: [PyrNet-L] Hello

marybyrd wrote:

> We recently took Caesar to a "Bubbles & Bark" activity, and the
> "Health Check" part of this, they found out that one of his back teeth
> was broke some.
Hi Mary, I'm really curious about what a "Bubbles & Bark activity" is!

> Question:  Is it "normal" for a Pyr to have the tail curl up all the
> time?
The tail is supposed to "make the wheel" over their backs when they are
alert.  Puppies are usually more alert than adults and some just carry
the tail up more than others. Usually adults don't carry their tails up
when they are just standing.

> that he has some matting near his genital area.  Any ideas on how to
> take care of this issue.  He also has some matting on the hair under
> the butt hair area.
The way I handle mats is to carefully comb them out.  First I sort of
pull them apart with my fingers and then gently separate the mat into
smaller mats with the end tooth of a comb (that probably sounds
confusing) and comb from the end of the hair towards the body.  For
really big mats, I wet them with a solution of Mane & Tail conditioner
(from the horse equipment store) and water in a spray bottle.  After it
sits for a while you can comb the mat out.  I get my dogs used to being
combed by sitting on the floor with them, but the easiest way to groom
is on a grooming table.  Pet supply catalogs have numerous mat splitters
(some are really lethal)for adult dogs.  I like the mat splitter comb
with 4 or five teeth that have sharp edges that can be pulled through
the long pantaloons. Most mat splitters do pull out hair so be careful.
Puppy mats are best done with a comb.
Charlotte
Virginia