Re: [PyrNet-L] re: concrete kennel runs

On  5 Sep 98 at 15:43, adyment wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> We recently had our kennel runs done with concrete.
> Can anyone offer ideas as to how to keep them fresh and clean?

I work at a boarding kennel part time.  First thing in the mornings
the dog is let out of the run, the poop picked up and the kennel
hosed out with water. The dogs are exercised enough during the day,
that usually the initial clean out is all that's needed, except for
those dogs that don't have a clue on why they are being let out to
run.  Once a week or more, depending on
our volume, we use a combination of Clorox and Odoban in a hose
attached fertilizer sprayer and hose down the clean kennels and
walls, we let this sit for at least 5-10 minutes and then rinse
before the dog goes back.  If the kennel is empty, we let it air dry
and do not rinse.  We also use either Clorox or Odoban in the drains
daily and also spray the gravel exercise area weekly. The gravel is
not rinsed, just allowed to sun dry.  We have had no skin reactions
from this combination.   Clorox kills a variety of viruses, including
parvo, Odoban <available at Sam's Club> kills some viruses and HIV,
but not parvo, does have a clean, fresh, scent and does well
neutralizing urine odors. Clorox is hard on the environment and we
are always looking for some environmentally safe product that works
as well, and is economical, so far, nothing beats it.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico