Re: [PyrNet-L] hello

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:48:12 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time), Monica
Vong wrote:

>hi, my name is monica and i'm new to the listserv.  i'm adopting a 2 years 9
>months old female pyr this weekend.  is there any priceless advice that anyone
>has on giving my new pyr the best home.  also any advice on feeding, grooming,
>supplies, obedience.  if so, i'd greatly appreciate it.  i'm adopting it from a
>fantastic lady that rescues pyrs in north carolina.  my pyr, acadia, is came
>all the way from indiana.

Hi Monica! I'm in Oklahoma and a month ago I adopted a 2 yr 9 mo old
Rescue Pyr from Michigan! Same age as yours. I've got 8 other dogs
besides her and she has fit in with all of them just perfect! She
ignores the cats and adores my 2 yr old son. I hope you have as good
of luck as I did.
As far as advice....when you brush/comb her make sure you do it all
the way to the skin. You'll have to peice her hair into very small
strands and work strand by strand, but that's the best way to groom a
Pyr. It sounds tedious but once you're doing it it really is
relaxing. My Pyrs all eat 2 cups of food in the AM & 2 cups in the
PM. A good leash and a rolled leather collar are great supplies to
start with. And plenty of nylabones and a kong toy or 2. When you
train a Pyr you've got to be very consistant, kind & calm-just like
them. I've got 5 Pyrs and if I raise my voice they're crushed. They
learn by quiet calmness I've found. With mine anyway, if I talk to
them real soft, and show them what I want them to do they're more
than glad to do it. My GOLDENS on the other
hand......<BG>........Take her through an obedience class, more to
get her around other dogs and give her something to do that to
actually "train" her. My Pyrs all seem to act exactly the way I want
them to act without my actually having to "teach" them. They're just
so laid back and calm that they just seem to behave on their own :-)
Good luck!
Mitzi Potter
Pyrs@prodigy.net   Oklahoma City  OK
http://members.aol.com/pyrs/dogs.htm