[PyrNet-L] Re: pyr connections

<<Hairy, our 16 week, baby boy, who is around 40 lbs. will also play with
any
animal, child or adult.  Come one come all lets have some FUN!!
Except for one "Dog".  One day we were taking Hairy on his nightly walk and

suddenly he planted all four paws and would not move.  We looked up and
there was a big husky chained to a tree in his front yard,  Hairy would not

move.  We picked up Hairy and crossed the street, and then our walk
continued care-free.  We learned latter that this "husky" was part wolf.  I
was
amazed that the natural enemy "wolf" instinct would show up so young.  I am

very grateful.  >>

I can't speak for all speak for all pyrs of course, but I don't think the
reason had to do with the dog's resemblence to a wolf or the fact that it
was part wolf. I don't believe pyrs are born to dislike wolfs but, if used
as LGDs in a part of the country with wolfes come to hate them, as they are
a threat to the lifestock.

Some years age here in Denmark the kennel klub arranged a yearly
"wolf-march", a march that donated the profits to a wolf-museum here in
Denmark. At that time the museum owned a tame wolf that participated in the
march. I was there with my first pyrenees and so were several others, and
not one dog, pyr or non-pyr reacted to the fact Uni was a wolf. Actually
some of the pyrenees met her close up to have their photo taken with her,
and they behaved just as they would with any other dog. I know the first
year some of the pyr-owners were very excited before the march to see if
their pyrs would react to the wolf, but they did not.

It is always exciting to watch how our young puppies react to other dogs,
but maybe this dog is just very dominant, a young puppy would sense that.

Lene Nielsen
sandybear@intercity.dk