Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: pyr connections

Lene Nielsen:

One day we were taking Hairy on his nightly walk and

> suddenly he planted all four paws and would not move.  We looked up and
> there was a big husky chained to a tree in his front yard,  Hairy would
not

> move.  We picked up Hairy and crossed the street, and then our walk
> continued care-free.  We learned latter that this "husky" was part wolf.
> was
> amazed that the natural enemy "wolf" instinct would show up so young.

Beverly's Answer:
	I did not at all find this unusual.  Puppies very young 8 to 12 weeks will
react to coyote scent.  My husband hit one with my van a few years ago and
when he drove in the drive way all ages of dogs from little pups to grown
dogs tried to take the grill off the van to get to this coyote inside.
There was also guard duty pulled on this vehicle for a couple of days.
	The hatred of coyotes and wolves is an inherited instinct.
 I am

 I don't believe pyrs are born to dislike wolfs but, if used
> as LGDs in a part of the country with wolfes come to hate them, as they
are
> a threat to the lifestock.

> Denmark. At that time the museum owned a tame wolf that participated in
the
> march. I was there with my first pyrenees and so were several others, and
> not one dog, pyr or non-pyr reacted to the fact Uni was a wolf. Actually
> some of the pyrenees met her close up to have their photo taken with her,
> and they behaved just as they would with any other dog. I know the first
> year some of the pyr-owners were very excited before the march to see if
> their pyrs would react to the wolf, but they did not.

	This just confirms what several of the breeders that breed strictly for
working dog have suspected and been afraid would happen. That many of the
show dog fanciers have breed out some of the guarding instinct of these
dogs, this does not bode well for the breed.

Beverly Coate
C&C Farms  Stigler Oklahoma   USA
Visit our website at  http://www.cwis.net/~bcoate
bcoate@cwis.net