Re: [PyrNet-L] Newbie to list needs help with "Nanna" (our pyr)

> Nanna, our 7 1/2 year old female Pyr, has had some kind of vulva infection
> (or something) that has turned her vulva area very red and raw. My
> knowledge of dog anatomy is very poor, but the little thing that protrudes
> where she urinates (what's it called?) is actually bloody. She also gives
> off a sickly-sweet smell from the area.

To me it sounds like vaginitis or a fungal infection. Even a spayed girl
can get vaginitis.

> The vet says she has a very tiny vulva and very big thighs and there's not
> enough ventilation there, so we've shaved the area and that does seem to
> help some. She's been on oral antibiotics several times, but the problem
> comes right back.

If it's a fungal infection and the vet gives the wrong antibiotic it can
make the problem worse. To insure what is the problem the vet needs to
do some cultures.

> Clearly, we are not really doing her any good. It hurts me just to look at
> her. Anyone have any suggestions? Please?

The other thing you said is you were shaving the area - this can cause
more irritation. I'd try using scissors and clipping as close as I can
without catching the skin - I can get it down to a 1/4", but, I've been
doing it for a long time now.

Lisa