Re: [PyrNet-L] hip dysplasia

In a message dated 9/17/98 2:28:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
roustabout@bluebon.net writes:

<< I am an australian shepherd breeder and this is my first pyr, so I was
wondering how common of a problem subluxation is in pyrs?  >>

Not very, but I am sure you know that sublux can appear from imprecise
positioning in the X-ray.

<< And should I be concerned about his future hip status? >>

Yes, you should.

<<Or will maturity take care of some of the problem?>>  Maybe, maybe not.

You are doing the right thing i.e. withdrawing the dog for breeding
consideration until it can pass the hip evaluation.  As long as it is symptom
free should be no problem showing etc.  I would now wait until at least 2
years old for further evaluation unless symptoms occur prior.

Good luck.

Joe