[PyrNet-L] Hello?

Hi.

I'm a new subscriber (and a newbie to Listserves, although I've cruised Usenet groups) so please do let me know if I break proper nettiquet or something!

My name is eileen morgan, and I recently lost my eldery Akita. My spouse and I are searching for a new dog, and we are interested in Pyre's. I'd like to get to know the breed better before I make the commitment to purchasing one, because I think taking in an animal--any animal--is serious business. So, here I am, trying to meet some Pyre's through their chatting people! I've located one breeder who is planning for a spring litter, so I have some time to make up my mind and be sure what we have to offer a Pyre is what is best for us all. :)

Just to toss out there for general perusal what we would be offering the Pyre:

We live on a small horse farm. We need a dog without the herding desire who won't eat the barn cats, and can share a house with a couple of kitties and another dog of the opposite sex. We plan to spay/neuter both dogs, and are intererested in pet quality companions. Puppy number one (a Bernese Mountain Dog) should be joining us this late fall, and be well into some basic training before we introduce puppy number two. (I have had two dogs before, but it was not really an option with my Akita). Although we currently do not have any of the yard area fenced, we have a good 1/2 to1 acre of property as yard which we could fence in if we end up with a Pyre (I understand they have a strong need to wander and patrol). We have a kennel which can be used as a holding pen, but, the dogs will primarily live in the house with us.

I've had dogs since I was a small child (this is the first time I have been dog-less in about 25 years), but my spouse has never had a puppy. They did have a family dog which died when he was 7, and for the last 2 years he was step dad to Rohan. He has not trained a dog before, therefore, although he has worked with adult trained dogs. We are planning to have children in a few years, and we need a dog which can accept a baby into the home (not possible with my Akita). We plan to socialize the dog with nephews, neices, and the little girls who come for riding lessons. Hair is not a probelm--I've had nothing but furballs so far.

Well, what do you Pyre people think? Is this a home in which a Pyre should thrive? What issues do I need to watch for (for instance, I know they are independant and require some work for obedience, but, will this typically be more challanging than a dominant personality Akita?) What about living in a dog-bitch pair with a soft dog like a Berner?

Tanks in advance for any reponses, and hopefully this is the type of intro I'm supposed to be doing!

eileen morgan
The Mare's Nest