Re: [PyrNet-L] Fur staining and allergies!

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:12:28 -0400, Murden, Deanna wrote:

>Lucy is just over five months old, and we've been told she is suffering
>from some mild allergies.  She chews at her fur on her feet and thighs
>quite a bit.  Thankfully there is no apparent skin irritation (sores or
>rash), and we check her daily for fleas (she has none).  We are treating
>her by shampooing once a week with a hypoallergenic shampoo, and the vet
>reccomended adding DermCaps to her food twice a day.  Hopefully she will
>find some relief after the weather cools down here in Michigan.
>Any other pyr owners have allergy problems??   Does anyone have
>suggestions to relieve the itching??

An often overlooked problem is sarcoptic mange. Some dogs can be
terribly itchy but not have any noticeable hair loss so sarcoptic
mange isn't considered. 3-4 dips with Paramite 10 days apart is the
treatment. If the dog stops itching after the 1st dip or 2 you quite
possibly may have your answer. If the vet just happens to get the
right skin scrape in the right spot, he may be able to see the mange
mites under the microscope, but like I said, if it's not bad enough
that there's obvious hair loss it's kind of hard to tell where to get
the scrape from.
Has she been around any other dogs? Dogs can easily have it, but not
look terrible like some of the pictures show. Does she play in the
park with any other dogs? Go visiting?
It's just a thought, but it's often overlooked. I know it's possible
for a dog to have allergies at 5 months, but it sure doesn't seem
very likely at that young of an age.
Mitzi Potter
Pyrs@prodigy.net   Oklahoma City  OK
http://members.aol.com/fivepyrs/dogsz.htm