[PyrNet-L] Itchy update

Thank you everyone for your hints and suggestions.

It's been only three days treatment with the DermCaps and Benedryl twice
daily.  I think the benedryl is knocking her out though.  Yesterday I
think she slept about 20 hours, didn't want any dinner, or a walk, just
which room to be in to sleep near  me.  It was kind of sad.   This
morning she again wanted very little food.

I hadn't put much thought into her diet as the cause of her itching.  So
I began to think about it, and I did realize that about a month ago I
began to mix Pedigree canned dog food (about 2 T) with her regular
science diet (large breed growth) to get her to eat better.  Boy, it
worked great and she finally began to show some interest in her meals.
Now I'm wondering if the Pedigree could be causing a reaction.

Also, while visiting some friends this weekend, Lucy (who has never
shown a great interest in food) helped herself to the resident dog's
food dish, AND asked for more.  I was absolutely floored.  The food was
Eukanuba active adult formula or something similar.

So, all information to date makes me think I should consider changing
her diet!  Of course I just purchased another 40lbs of her regular
Science Diet kibble, and a half dozen cans of pedigree (isn't that how
it always goes??).  I checked into the labels and noticed that Eukanuba
also advertises the use of Omega-3 and Omega-6 supplements.  Another
newsgroup member mentioned these supplements helped her itchy dog.

So I'm going to start the gradual weaning off the science diet (hoping
to use all 40 lbs!).  Though this may take a little longer than I
anticipated to see if the change in diet helps her though.  But at least
if she likes the Eukanuba ( I'm going to use large breed puppy formula),
mixing that with the Science diet should get her to eat it without
adding the Pedigree.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Deanna Murden
and the still itchy and now sleepier Lucy-dog