Re: [PyrNet-L] Itchy update

Deanna,

> It's been only three days treatment with the DermCaps and Benedryl twice
> daily.  I think the benedryl is knocking her out though.

I have not followed this discussion carefully, but I am wondering who
suggested Benedryl *twice* daily?  That seems like a lot to me.
Dogs and humans do not metabolize drug in the same way and you
should always be cautious in using human medication on your Pyr.

Maybe I am completely off the mark on this, but for the average size
Pyr I would not give more than (maybe) one regular strength
Benedryl per day, and not for any extended period of time.

Who knows, if she can't get rid off the daily dosage, she may even
be accumulating the Benedryl in her system - that in combination
with a loss of appetite cannot possibly be good...

I think your idea about trying to solve the problem (with the Omega-
3/-6 fatty acids) rather than treating the symptoms is a much better
way to make your Lucy feel better.

Patric.

The secret of success is sincerity.
Once you can fake that, you've got it made.
psl@ahabs.wisc.edu
http://www.ahabs.wisc.edu/Student/Lundberg/Home.html
Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology
Department of Animal Health and Biomedical Sciences
University of Wisconsin at Madison
1655 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706, USA