[PyrNet-L] Albert & I visit a non-pyr rescue dog that's a former victim of abuse..

In a message dated 10/29/98 12:37:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
TLehrman@aol.com writes:

<< Sorry to hear about your experience. I have had a Dobie/Pitbull rescue now
for
 11 years who was beaten prior to 4 months old when I 'liberated' him from his
 owner who uses dogs for fighting. Samson (at 100lbs) has always been a sweet
lover dog in the house and with my other dog(s), but take him out on the
street and
 hes like walking a loaded AK47. It has been an issue for the last 11 years.
I'll love him 'til death, but I would also think twice, Janice, about rescuing
this particular dog.
Chows, lovely as they are, can sometimes be somewhat unpredictable with
respect to aggression. Think long and hard!, Ted

   I am thinking long and hard about this because I don't have a real peace
about it or sense that this is the right thing for me to do yet. However the 2
situations do not sound very similar. Yours was bred for fighting. This dog
has never been dog aggress- ive or people aggreesive. It is fearful of people
because of the abuse it suffered and fearful of anything, especially metal
around his neck since he was wrapped in barbed wire and transported like that
and then thrown over a fence and left wrapped in barbed wire until found when
it was only 4 mos. old. It is 2.5 yrs. old now and since it has not in all
that time been aggressive I am somewhat doubtful it would be now. But to be on
the safe side I'd want my 12 yr. old son to meet and interact with him, as the
dog has not been around kids at all. Also I'd like my hubby to meet him to
make sure he does not remind the dog of the man who abused him. Even if all
tese things check out OK, I'm still not sure if I'll feel OK. We'll see.....
2.5 yrs. is a long time to still have baggage left over from that abuse. But
not too awfully unusual. And he has not really had a chance to have a lot of
TLC in a family situation, either yet. Being one dog out of many that are
kenneled is not the best situation for him. Feel he hasn't really had the kind
of chance he should have had. If Albert were an adult and already well behaved
and trained and the meetings with hubby and son checked out -  I'd probably
take this guy for sure.  Albert still needs so much of my time and training,
though, that I am hesitating about getting a dog that is so emotionally needy
at this time, no matter how much my heart goes out to him. We'll
see......still pondering it all and keeping my options open and looking at
other dogs.
   I realize many have had negative experiences with chows and chow-mixes, but
I also know many, myself included who have had wonderful loving, sweet,
affectionate non-aggressive chows or chow-mixes (mine), too. Including a
number on this list. It's kind of like the Pyrs we pick. We look for non-
aggressive pyrs, too.
   Appreciate the input and we'll keep it in mind.

:)  &  :)```   (me grinning & Albert grinning & drooling!)

Janice Vocke
MagEBroD@aol.com
Shelton, WA.