[PyrNet-L] Items to chew ...

     I don't know about the rest of you, but my guy can go thru rawhides
     lickity split.  Even the largest ones can be devoured in a relatively
     short amount of time.

     In my experience with other dogs, they usually spent a considerable
     amount of time slobbering on the rawhides to soften them before really
     chewing them up.  My guy just carries it to somewhere kind of private
     (usually the room nearest to the one I'm in), lays down, props the
     "bone" between his front paws, gives it a lick or two to soften it and
     then CRUNCH!  From the other room it sounds like someone trying to
     tear down the walls with a hammer.  For him, he looks like he's in
     heaven, eyes closed, paws crossed ...

     The best "deal" I have found though, is to go to the nearest butcher
     (doesn't matter if meat market or grocery store) and get a cow femur
     bone.  Costs about 20 to 29 cents a pound depending on the store.  So,
     for between $1.50 and $3.00 you can get a HUGE bone for your special
     one.  A word of warning to those who are squeamish, they are not too
     pretty.  (The ones I usually get have the knee still attached, in
     other words they include the knuckle bone)  I then bake it.  This
     melts off the fat, and dries any blood.  Talk about a feast!

     These will last about twenty times longer than any rawhide.  And once
     he finishes getting the marrow out (it takes awhile until he reaches
     this point), it can be refilled with peanut butter or some other yummy
     until its time to go to the store again.

     Steve
     Peoria, IL