[PyrNet-L] Pyr Questions

Hi folks,

	I have four 8-mo. old Pyrs., that we got at 8 weeks old.  One
male, 3 female, siblings, all neutered or spayed now.

	We are absolutely nuts about these pups, and adore them deeply.
Through lots of years we have experienced large to giant breeds, Great
Danes, and Mastiffs among them, so we are not without experience.  Both
showing in conformation and obedience.  We may yet do obedience with this
crew, just for fun.

	While I do have Pyr. books, I have not found some of the info I
need.  I am hoping some kind folks with experience with the breed will
pass on info to me.

	The books give us the minimum standards for size.  All pups have
reached those, and of course optimum weight comes with age.  Can some one
give me an idea of what a good average Pyr. would most likely be at 8-mo?
 Our loveable lump of a male is almost 30" at 8-mo.  Is that good?  When
does their height growth stop in this breed?  My smallest female is 25"
at this age, with the other two girls between those.  Does all of this
come out fairly average?

	We have been totally fascinated with the flexibility of these
dogs per size.  Having the four, watching them play is entertainment in
itself.  It seems nothing for them to do a standing jump right over one
another.  Is this flexibility part of this breed, and do they retain it?

	Can the breed be barky? So far, single Pyr. owners tell me that
their dogs are very quiet.  I would expect that multiples may encourage
more vocalization.  But mine  for the most part can really get going.
That same smaller female of mine is one of those that actually has to
have the last word!  What she lacks in size she makes up for in
personality!!  The thing is, you can't get mad at them, they are such a
social happy lot!

	Also, at this age, is it common for them to be in a wide variety
of coat stages?  I have one female who is beautiful in long snowy white
top guard hairs, but not much undercoat yet.  At the other end, one
female still seems to have an enormous amount of that soft downy puppy
coat.  The two in the middle have what I would think would be a normal
mix of guard hair vrs. undercoat for the breed.  How long does it usually
take for the pups to start really getting adult coats?  I am not talking
about the elegant coat of a really mature Pyr.  Just some kind of
sameness?

	As I said, we adore these kids, their personalities are beyond
reproach and they are so bright and quick to learn.  We will love them no
matter how they turn out, because they were bought as companions, and
they sure are every ones best friends around here!  What a magnificent
breed!

	Oh, and if anyone has info on training them to a cart, I would
appreciate that as well.  It seems like a fun way to keep their very
active minds and bodies occupied!

	Thank you all so much, for any info. you can pass on!  I am so
happy to find a group for this marvelous breed.
                                                         Cindy Henke

clhenke@juno.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

--JAAAA15841.912696426/x11.boston.juno.com--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]