Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr Questions

Cindy,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pyrs.  Starting with 4 is really brave!

I think your heights are good for 8 months old, but I've never raised
puppies, so I'll leave that to others.

If I understand what you mean by flexibility--then yes, they will retain
it.  Clondike is 11 years old (and a cancer patient), and she can jump
straight up in the air, turn 180 degrees, and come down pointing in the
opposite direction.  She also jumped across the arms of a LaZBoy recliner
about a year ago--scaring me but causing her no problems at all.

Be aware.  Pyrs BARK!!!  I believe it is the most common problem listed as
a reason for putting dogs in Rescue.  They often don't "learn" to bark or
decide to bark until about 2.  It is their natural way of warning
predators, and training can only do so much toward making the Pyr trust
your judgement as to what is a threat (have you heard about the
stubborness?).  Pyrs that are left outdoors for long periods tend to
become more territorial than house dogs and bark more, but then that may
be a good thing if you have a farm.

Some Pyrs take some time to develop their full coat, and quite a variety
of coat color and texture is normal in the breed.

For carting information, go to Warrick Wilson's excellent page at:

http://www.bond.net/~warrickw/carting.html

There is an instructional video I produced for DogWorks, Inc. that is
available through several mail order bookstores or from DogWorks at
1-800-787-2788.  It is intended for beginners and has generally received
good reviews (I have no financial interest in this tape).

The GPCA has just begun testing for the draftdog certification, so if you
like carting, there will be opportunities for competition.

If you seriously consider showing Pyrs in Obedience, check out Jane Gill's
great columns under the Obedience section of Penny Pyrbred's Web Page at:

http://www.pyrbred.org

Jane is GPCA Obedience Chair and one of the funniest people I know!  It
takes a sense of humor to show these guys in obedience!

I might also mention therapy work.  Our girl started therapy work at a
local nursing home at the age of 9 and a half.  She is a star at it and
really enjoys tending her "flock."  I have found the process very
rewarding and a great way to bond with Clondike.

I hope this helps a little.  You will get lots of opinions, so don't be
surprised if some of them are divergent.

Hugs to your pack,

David

 David Kintsfather              | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Dept. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | INTERNET:    kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     |   "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |                Francis David