Re: [PyrNet-L] Flock Guardian Pyr Problem

As a dog bite victim,  I would say it would depend on what severe
means...does it just mean a big bite (Pyrs have very big mouths as we all
know..) or did the dog grab ahold of the person and not let go when
corrected?  Or was it severe, because of where the bite was located?

The problem with a dog that bites is that most owners with biting dogs are
in denial of the problem or do not have the knowledge to handle the
problem...and do not take appropriate precautions to make sure that the dog
is never put in a situation where it feels it needs to bite
(unprovoked)...Like someone said "no bad dogs, just bad owners".  However,
most people do not buy dogs hoping that they will bite people invited into
their home...that is a totally different situation from the true intent of a
guarding breed.  Once again, as someone else stated, a truly sound guarding
dog should be able to determine if a person is a threat to its people or
property, or just a welcomed guest or friendly visitor...and if the dog can
not distinguish between the two situations...I would say there is a definite
problem, whether it is improper training or a temperment problem and the dog
is a danger to the owners (physically and financially) as well as other
people.

Having owned a very protective dog (self appointed), that would jump any
fence, I would say life is not very fun....I would have had to keep my dog
locked in a covered run to protect visitors to my home...not exactly a great
life for me or the dog...the stress of owning such a dog is unbelievable!  I
certainly don't have the money to pay for a lawsuit...but more importantly,
I certainly wouldn't want a dog of mine to injure a friend or a child
welcomed in my home or even a friendly visitor that just stopped by to ask
about my goats or my dogs!  And to say that a child or person who wanders on
to your property deserves to be bitten...all I can say is...GET A GRIP!!!!!
I certainly hope that you are never in a situation where one of your dogs
bites an innocent child!

Respect is one thing...but your response sounds more like disrespect...what
if your dogs manage to get out of your pasture?  Pyrs are known to be escape
artists...I suppose then the neighbors could just shoot your dog ...provoked
or not...kind of like an unprovoked dog biting an intruder to your
property...provoked or not...and if just the mere presence of a person on
your property is enough reason to attack...then I guess your dog present on
someone else's property is reason enough to shoot...RIGHT???

Just something to think about,
Nicola Schaefer
roustabout@bluebon.net
Prairie Lea, Texas
Home of:  Roustabout Australian Shepherds...
Angel, Anya, Magic, Panda, Turk, Kayla and
Casper(Pyr), Otis(Pug), and Terra(BordCollie)
webpg:    www.geocities.com/petsburgh/3178
ICQ#19107028 (just request my authorization)