Re: [PyrNet-L] A few questions.

On 22 Dec 98, at 9:25, clhenke@juno.com wrote:
> In other breeds you remove the dew claws to avoid possible future injury.
>  Not so with our double-dew gang.  Does it appear that they have stronger
> dews?  In your experience do they injure them much?  I ask because I am
> fascinated watching mine actually use them a lot.  If the foot slips,
> they actually hang by those dews  ( I am sure that is what nature
> intended in their original environment ), but it does make me cringe at
> times ( think about hanging from your pinkie digit....yikes ), and I
> wonder if they are in fact stronger?

I've never had one of my pyrs injure the dews.  Originally I do
believe the dew claws were meant to help balance in the
mountains.  Interestingly doing carting with 2 breeds like I do I have
found that when I was teaching turns that where I taught my newf
how to balance herself on the turn my pyr almost has a natural
balance doing turns and ended up just teaching him how to hold
his body in the shafts on the turn.  Whether it has anything to do
with those dews I don't know......

Janice, janices@jump.net
Admiral & Linsey (newfs), Bianca & Sonny (pyrs)
http://www.jump.net/~janices/
Leander, TX
Visit Old West Newfoundland Club's website at
http://www.jump.net/~janices/ownc/