Re: [PyrNet-L] RE: Chat, Behavior: Barking problems

In a message dated 12/22/98 1:38:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
BCavins303@aol.com writes:

<< I think I would rather have the dog surgically debarked than to use an
 electric collar.  When they are surgically debarked it does not totally take
 away the bark, it just makes it much quieter.  I've had a long discussion
with
 our vet about the procedure.  Even she feels that debarking would be more
 humane than electric shock. >>

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I can't believe what I just read. ( I am a Vet Tech
Student and employed by a vet) Sorry but I have to flame on this one- I think
that debarking is cruel and inhumane. Okay- I feel better now. Sorry. At least
with a shock collar the dog would learn that the particular behavior is
unacceptable and would probably eventually calm down. I have a friend who
tried the remote shock collar on her noisy companion lab, she used it for a
total of about 2 weeks and he learned. I have about 2 acres fenced for my Pyrs
and my brittany and i had a fence jumping problem (and the brittany started
digging). So- I put an electric wire around the top and bottom. They touched
it a few times, and I have not even had the thing turned on in about 2 years.
They won't even try. And my horse- he is in NOTHING but a single strand of hot
wire. Same thing-I can lay the gate on the ground and he will not step over
it. Animals are intellegent creatures. Give them some credit. The shock
training products are not made to be cruel, hell, I touched the fence to see
how powerful it was.

just my opinion-thats all

Melissa, Maddie, Samson and Tanner