Re: [PyrNet-L] Non-pyr: pit fightnig

>You hypothesize that the whole gene pool is infected.  Hope you are wrong!!
>
>Joe

No,  I am not saying the whole gene pool is infected, obviously there are a
lot
of people who have had experience with very loving pit bulls and I am sure
they are out there.  But the stats speak for themselves, and after all pit
bulls
were bred to fight in the pit.  It would not be very good to have a pit
bull that
wouldn't fight in the pit and therefore the aggressive trait comes into the
picture.
One thing to consider in defense of the pit bull is to know at what
percentage
the pit bull makes up the total population of dogs  If their population was
very
large, then it would be reasonable that they would have a large percentage of
the stats.  However, I don't think this is the case. However, just as the
bulldog in
England was bred to fight bulls, this was considered barbaric and was
outlawed.
As I am told, the aggressiveness was then bred out of the bull dog and they
are
every sweet and mild now.  I hope this happens with the pit bull.  I agree
with
Melissa that there are idiot breeders out there, and referencing back to that
news item,  breeding pit bulls to fight in the pit is alive and well.  It
is probably
these bad bloodlines that are causing the "bad rap" for all the other loving
pit bulls.  My concern is that now, there are breeders wanting to breed more
aggressive Pyrs, purposely trying to change the genetic trait that has been
there for
the last 2000 years.  I feel this is irresponsible to the breed, especially
a large breed
like the Pyr.

Tim Parks