Re: [PyrNet-L] Non-pyr: pit fightnig

>I was shocked when I got into the Veterinary world, that alot of
>people who work in the field do not trust Pyrs and think of them as
>"aggressive". But we do see a couple that would bite you. All in a days
work I
>guess.
>
>Melissa

Well this is exactly my concern about the breeders who want to breed
more aggressive Pyrs.  It is going to cause a problem later on.  As I
understand Pyrs and the standard, they were bred to be a guard dog,
but the difference with the rest is that they will only fight when they
have to.  They have the ability to reason non-threatening situations
from threatening situations.  And do not fight at every given opportunity.
However, since there are breeders of Pyrs that want more aggressive dogs,
the ability to reason will be lost in those bloodlines as they will want to
fight more often as the opportunity presents itself.  I would hate to see
the brains bred out of these dogs.  I have had three Pyrs, and expecting
my fourth in a few months.  I have only known them to fight as a last
resort.  I think this is what made the Pyr great and not vicious.

Tim Parks