Re: [PyrNet-L] What do I need now?

> Hi,

    I finally learned to purchase an extra large crate for giant
breed's. When the pup is younger, I back filled it with a well sanded
wooden board to make it smaller, so that the pyr pup feel more secure.
Until the little pyr is house trained, it's a good idea to have shredded
newspaper or a washable rubber mat in the crate. I try to keep something
soft & warm on the floor of the crate. A machine washable fleece liner
is good.
    I put various safe chew toy's.( never rawhides for anyone, unless
they are being supervised, in case they cough or choke.) I leave dry
kibble & water in the crate, their cave! You can purchase water bucket's
that attach to the crate so, the water is less likely to spill. At night
when crating, depending on the age of the pup and whether it likes the
crate or not, I put a large Big Ben ticking clock wrapped carefully
around a puppy blanket. 'Especially' for the little ones to remind them
of their mother's heartbeat. I only leave them night crated until they
could be trusted not to poop or hurt themselves by destructively
chewing. Then, they all want to sleep on the cave/bed with me. <BG> I
love it.
    There is nothing like a Maine's cold winter night that is a two dog
night. What dreamy cuddly fun! Of course, some people do not recommend
this for their pyr's. It is definitely not a good idea for pyr's that do
not know who the boss is in the house. <g>.

>  I have a crate but I am not sure it is
> the correct dimensions.  What is the right size?  What toys and what
> size of
> chewy things should I have?  Right now I have to < 10 lb.. dogs and I
> have a
> feeling that their toys just won't due <G>.
>
> How about a collar, how big is a Pyr at 9 weeks?

   You could take the puppy to the dog shop and measure it there. Or
measure it's neck size and then pick one out. Their little neck's seem
to get big fast. At this point, for me I just save all the collar's for
the next pyr puppy. There are some collar's made that are expandable for
the growth of the puppy.
    If you could request to receive some catalog's for dog's, they will
also explain in them how to measure your dog for a collar.    Some of my
favorite wholesale pet supply catalog's are; R.C. Steele, telephone:
1-(800) 872-3773. They have just come out with a some new toy's. Some
are fruit scented with or without sound, I believe. Also, there are 3
new giant breed toy's. One is a huge rattling snake. My pyr's seem to
love the toy's with the noises the best. Lexi's favorite is a a soft
rooster that crow's when she bites on it!
    Foster & Smith at : 1-(800) 826-7206. I've gotten many a dog bowl
and dog bed from them.
     J.B. Inc. 1 (800) 788-5005. Very good prices!
    In The Company of Dogs at : 1-(800)924-5050. Very expensive, but,
very good dream material! <g>
    There are some wonderful web sites for dog supplies too. One is
called  Cherrybrook at : http:www.cherrbrook./com/. There also is a
super site called Pyraphenalia. Does anybody have the address? I can't
find it.
    As for the toy size, a toy should never be small enough for a puppy
to swallow. Hide all the stuffed animal's in your house or be prepared
to suffer the consequences. Plus the humane stuffed toy's may have those
glass eyes and such. Very dangerous to a child or puppy if they swallow
them.
    All around my pyr's most loved toy's seem to be the fleece ones.
Jonah, still has and loves his first fleece toy.
    I hope that this has been of some use to you Catie. Happy Near Year
to all, one more time. <g>.
    Take good care,
    Judith, Jonah & Lexi