Re: [PyrNet-L] Care, Behavior: aggression btw male sibs

Michelle,    How do they respond to you?  I ask only to ascertain what
your chances are to get some control over them.  I am not personally big
on multiple males.  I've done it, but can't say their is a lot of
pleasure in it.  Still, if yours are that young, and neutered, it is
still likely that you can get control over the situation.  Are you
comfortable with grabbing them by the scruff of the throat and dropping
them and holding them, or would you be concerned for yourself?  If you
are afraid of the situation then I would say to get rid of the more
aggressive.  If you want to keep them, you are going to have to react
hard and fast to un-wanted behaviors.  This is a tough call, because to a
degree they are going to have to spar for position, but it cannot exceed
what you feel comfortable with.  I would definitely not feed them
together, just to make sure the less aggressive gets his share.  But
smaller battles may have to be fought.  You will have to punish both, so
they both know it is un-acceptable.  But you will have to come down even
harder on the overly aggressive male.  At six mo. I can't see where there
would be that many hormones yet to deal with.  Giant breeds are usually
real slow to develop along those lines, so there should have been more
time, before that would be a problem.  I'm talking averages here.  Is
there any reason to think they were becoming sexually mature?  Mounting
is dominance, not sexual at this stage.

Are you sure they are really fighting seriously?  It has been said that
good hard play-fighting among dogs is one of the healthiest ( mentally
and emotionally ) thing dogs can do.  And the harder they do it, the
better they live and deal with humans.  I know this is hard, because my
four get really rough sometimes, and I would step in far faster, far more
often, if I gave in to my own feelings on this.  Humans screw animals up
so often emotionally that I really bite my tongue on this one a lot.  I
see that it really does work, but it sure is not easy!  I only interrupt
if I am concerned that it is going to go over the line, or if we are
going to loose a part of the house.  I don't stand for it over meals
either.

I think the toy thing is normal ( like kids ), you can let it go for a
bit, then you will have to really let in on the one hogging.  This is
still back to the scruff of the neck, dropping them on their backs
holding them till they submit.  Only do this if you are 100% sure you can
control the situation.  If they think they win this one, you are in
trouble.  As the dominant member of their pack, you have the right to
control.

Do you know what their circumstances were prior to your taking them in?
Frankly I am puzzled that they are doing so much of this.  The drawback
to this situation is having to deal with it now, rather than when they
were younger.  Please let us know more, especially about how you feel
when they are doing this.  These are only suggestions, and I know not
everyone will agree, because we all raise our dogs differently.  I think
you are wise to ask others, since everyone has different experiences with
often similar events.  Maybe some one will give you an idea that helps!
Good luck, and let us know more!  Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]