Re: [PyrNet-L] biting

what do you mean by gagging?  puppies tend to nip at this age, its their way of
playing and communicating.  but it is something that should be corrected
consistently and nonviolently.  yelling almost never works in puppies, adult
dogs, and most kids for that matter.  what does work is a rapid correction,
followed by praise,praise,praise.  the correction should be something that gets
their attention, is bothersome or annoying to them, and is quick.  my trainer
suggests 'bugging them back' when they are bugging you.  so, if crotch sniffing
is unacceptable, we kind of grab the dog's scruff and pinch it a little after we
give a firm but not loud 'no'.  then if they stop the behavior,
praise,praise,praise.  if they don't then you know your correction wasn't
bothersome enough. it should be annoying but not painful.  the problem with pyrs
is their incredibly high tolerance for pain, so it is hard for humans to find
this threshold.

a shake of the scruff usually works at this early age, but remember the
subsequent behavior should be positive reinforcement for stopping what was
unacceptable.  yelling and gagging will only scare the puppy and fear almost
never results in learning

NOTE TO LISTERS:  let's not jump on this new poster for her current tactics, we
all do what we're taught and seeking help/info on this list should be as a
positive sign.  LET'S PRACTICE WHAT WE PREACH -- firm but consistent correction
and then praise, praise, praise!

Susan Dobscha

MaryBeth Williams <Purple67@ix.netcom.com> on 01/12/99 05:53:57 PM

Please respond to pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org