Re: [PyrNet-L] Chat: Summer clip

Michaelene Sullivan [innerpuppie@barkavenue.com] wrote:>>

The coat is not meant to be sheared off and does not grow back correctly for
the breed standard.

...the coat is to remain long and that it provides insulation from both the
heat and the cold...In very hot weather the coat will become very light
(thin) if the animal is groomed and brushed regularly to accommodate the
heat...>>

Hi!  Just joint the list - testing my first post...The person who groomed my
Pyr told me the same thing.  My pup hates the hot weather.  The sun is
ferocious and the humidity is high in Reston, where I lived at the time.
She also told me that a clipped coat would make it easier for the ticks and
mosquitoes to get to him (big, big problem in No. Va.).  So, instead I put
Skin-So-Soft sunscreen lotion on his full coat ("Moisturizing Suncare" that
is also a mosquito, flea and deer tick repellent).  After testing to see if
he'd be allergic, I put it on daily (initially).  He seemed to love the
relief it gave him from gnats and after several applications, his coat was
so soft, I no longer had a problem de-twigging/burring him after his daily
romp through the fields. Caveat:  the SPF is only 8 and it will lay his coat
down after a few applications.  Plus, you have to brush him more often or
else he will look like a grease ball.

However, this did not provide him any relief from the heat...He eventually
learned to swim and that helped.

Pamela Hogan
Singapore