Re: [PyrNet-L] Racoons Anyone?

>A has anyone had any experience with these
>critters? Cajun is pretty fast when she wants to be. Anyone have
>any idea on what to expect if she corners the racoon in an area
>where he might not be able to escape. But best of all, any one have
>any suggestions that would not be dangerous to Cajun or any other
>wildlife but that will keep him off the deck and out of the yard?
>  Carol

I lived on my sailboat for 6 years and had problems with raccoons coming on
board to steal the catfood.  They got so bold that while I would be laying
down on the settee, they would come aboard and go for the catfood while
staring me straight in the eye, never looking away.  They killed a mother
cat of mine while the kittens were only a couple of weeks old and I had to
bottle feed them.  I encountered one raccoon once inside the boat and had
to fight him with a broom.  They are very good fighters.  I'm sure your pyr
would triumph if the raccoon is cornered and turned to fight.  But I would
warn that the raccoon will probably get it's licks in too, and that will
probably be to the face, there mouths are much the same as a dogs with
needle sharp fangs.  They are probably much faster then the dog too, in
reaction time but the dog will overpower it.  I would suggest that you
brush up on your first aid and keep some "super glue" (seriously!) in your
first aid kit.  Raccoons are very smart and very adept so I doubt you will
be able to keep him out.  There is a particular island near where I had my
boat that the park department placed a dock so people could picnic there.
They would dock and soon the raccoons would come.  They thought this was
cute at first, but soon they would become over run with raccoons
everywhere.  They would always have to make a retreat back to the boat, and
the raccoons would jump on the boat right after them.  We would here the
stories time and again from the charter boats, something like the horror
movies...