[PyrNet-L] adding an additional dog in the house

Hi Steve,

I've got three now, 2 pyrs and 1 sheltie.  What I've found is that if I
take a little extra time for each dog at some point during the day, they
all seem to be happy.

For example, my sheltie likes to go to drive-in windows <g>.  He will
sit right up on my lap and expect to be ooohhh and aaahhhhed over.  My
male pyr likes to spend early evening at my feet, getting rubs as we
watch tv or have friends over.  My female pyr likes to be out after
dinner, so the morning is her time for affection.

I should also add that when I brought the puppy into the house last year
I made sure my boy was not in any way shoved aside, or his time with me
was changed dramatically.  the sheltie is a placement, and he just
stayed to himself most of the time until about 6 months ago.  He
adjusted to having 2 very big pals around, and now looks to them to
play.

I also make it a point that certain things I did with my male we've kept
just us.  The other two can find something else to do while I am in the
garage looking for a box that is still unpacked from the move (!), or if
I want to run to the store for a quick moment, pop him into the car.
The puppy still goes to KMart parking lots with me for socialization and
leash exercises, long after she needs it.  The sheltie spends most of
each day sound asleep right under my desk as I work.  That's our time
and they all expect and enjoy it.

I think that in the long run, each should get some one on one attention.
I also think that their lives are better having each other as company.
My bond is no less strong with any of them because they play with each
other or stay inside with me.  I am viewed as alpha, no questions about
that, and from there they will naturally make their own positions.

Joan