[PyrNet-L] housebreaking advice need HELP!!

jonbob@earthlink.net writes:

<<  I
 really wish I could crate but even if we didn't have the major car troubles
 this month I would not feel comfortable spending $200 of money that my
 husband works for when he is so anti-crate ( I don't agree with him but I
 don't work outside the home either so money is always an issue).  Bear was
 fine last night so we will see what tonight brings.  >>

   Good luck Michelle!  Hope things go better for you and Bear gets a better
clue as to what is behavior you appreciate and he'll get praised for & what is
behavior that grosses you out and makes you growl!!
   We were very very anti-crate at first and so was Albert.  My personal
preference is that I don't favor them for a place to keep your dog when you
are at work all day. They need exercise, I feel, and an opportunity to stretch
their muscles and be outdoors. There are those that seem to do well as only a
house dog, but I think they are few and far between. I feel most would be
happier and healthier outdoors more or at least being able to get more
exercise than a crate affords (none!). I feel it is a good option for
nighttime when they should be sleeping anyway.  But I prefer to limit that
time as well. I am a night-owl and tend to not sleep through the night well
due to pain.  So I let Albert out until sometimes 3 or 4am and them crate him
up and let him out at about 8am after it gets light out & he usually goes out
in this pen, unless it is miserable weather-wise. Often he sleeps out in his
pen, too. (Log doghouse there!) So his time in the crate is limited to
probably 5 or six hours or less. I think you could keep your dog in one all
night (8 hrs.) but I would not want them in it when they should be getting
exercise.  I know many will disagree with me, but I'd be willing to bet Albert
is more energetic and physically fit & can hike better than most dogs that are
crated crated for 9 - 16 hrs. a day, too. (in 8-9 hr.stretches each time)  I
think it's especially important when they are growing to make sure they can
stretch out and are not all cramped for long periods. Crates can add a huge
measure of safety, though.  And help you get a better night's sleep. They can
aid in housebreaking, as well.  It took me a long time to get to where we used
it much. I got ours 2nd-hand and they were selling for $12 and $15 dollars
each at the charity thrift store that I volunteer at one afternoon a week.
Because I volunteer there and get a discount I got the like-new one for only
$7.50!!!!  I was still anti-crate at the time, but felt it was good to at
least have on hand for emergencies.  Albert was always eating and destroying
something he shouldn't.  So I decided to use it at night. What worked for us
to get him to go in it without a fight was meatballs!!!  He loves them and I
make a bunch and freeze a lot and keep some  in refrigerator thawed and ready
for him.  Now when I say "Crate up!", Albert runs downstairs and into his
crate and turns around REAL FAST and sticks his head out eagerly awaiting his
meatball!!  He always makes us laugh the way he does it!!  Cute! One main
problem for us was always not really having enough space for a crate in our
entry.  (No extra room anywhere else, either.)  I do worry it is a bit of a
fire hazard as it is not easy to walk past.  We did do some switching around &
replaced deep shelf units with ones that are only about 7 or 8 inches deep to
give us a bit more space or we never would've been able to fit it in there and
still open doors and get past it.(7 doors open off our entry plus there is a
stairway,  woodstove, bookshelves and armoire there, so not much extra room.)
When my costume design workshop is finished, I'll move the armoire to the
workshop. Then it won't be a problem.
   I understand perfectly if you do not see crates as an option for your pooch
Bear.  We have to all find what works for us and our dogs and that is not
always the same for everyone.
   Again, good luck!!!

[me grinning, Albert grinning & drooling, and Mattie having her surgery
(spay)]

Janice Vocke
MagEBroD@aol.com
Shelton, WA.