Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Multi dog families

The adjustment for multi-dog depends on their personalities, your relationhip
with each dog, and each dogs place in the pack.
When we added Standish, an incredibly sweet, passive beagle, little changed in
the hierarchy. Hoover was still the enforcer for the male alpha, Hawkeye, who
was blind. Standish simply took her place at the end.

Then came Panda, the Pyr bitch from hell.

She was arrogant. She was bossy, Queen Shit of Turd Mountain. She wanted to
usurp Hawkeye, whose alpha status was from age and honor, not brute strength,
which was all she understood. The alpha humans short-circuited her quest to be
the boss, but she turned her arrogance on Hoover. Eventually all three ganged
up on her, beat the living daylights out of her (with my supervision, but no
move to interrupt except if blood was drawn), and she decided Hoover was the
boss. Even now, however, the humans have to reinforce this reality once in a
while.

The addition of dog #4, in retrospect, was not a true "mistake", but we won't
do it again. It completely changed our relationships with the first three.
I can't take the crew for a spontaneous joyride in the truck anymore,  but I
do take Hoover. alone (When Hawkeye was still with us he had the spot as elder
statesman so he went). Rides require planning. Panda attacks whomever else
goes for a ride/ walk without her, still trying to alpha. Hoover must maintain
order,so doesn't really ever have a chance to just hang out and be mommy's
baby. And other stuff that would bore you.

If I had allowed it, Panda would have simply taken over by brute force,
crushing Hoovers spirit. Hoover is a Lab/Shep, a command dog looking to us for
cues, and she is the most intelligent watchdog, able to tell good intruders
from bad; Panda is a watch-idiot, completely unable to figure out who to kill
or not, then running to cower in the corner when confronted.
Panda's natural Pyr independence makes her a "leader", but quite honestly
Hoover, smaller and older, is a better alpha. Like a brash young lieutenant,
Panda is full of energy and strength, but Hoover is the crafty, quiet old
general using experience as a guide.

Yes, multi-dogging is a unique experience! As you add or lose members, you can
indeed watch their relationships change (read "The Secret Life Of Dogs".  I
don't remember author; will find out if you'd like), and yours with them
changes too.

Best of luck..... Kathy/ KGHubGas@aol.com