[PyrNet-L] Re: Multi dog families

I have never had a problem adding animals to the family at any time.  But
I have noticed a difference this time.

Su-Ling our Shih-Tzu came into the family with a household of Mastiffs.
Neither had any problems adjusting.  Slowly as the Mastie died off, Su
became the "only" dog.  She went many years that way, as we got over the
loss of the big guys.

Now Shih-Tzu's are not known for being really big lap dogs.  They are
pretty tough and independent little dogs, always game for adventure.
Texas has a pretty short period of time where dogs can go with you in the
car too.  She was my constant companion, going everywhere with me, and
really hates it when it gets to hot, and she is stuck at home.

Then along comes the four pups.  Su has adjusted to them, although it has
taken her a long time.  She is only just lately getting where she will
curl up and lay with them.  She is still a stern teacher and gives them
heck.  Kinda funny to see them " jump ", and poor Ranger often falls over
himself getting out of her way!  Su is only rarely demanding of
attention, and because she is so small, she kind of gets lost under a
pile of legs when I come in.  I have to make a real point of getting to
her, and if I don't, I end up feeling bad about it.  While she seldom
laid on us, she was always next to us, and she gets misplaced, and lays
under tables away from the big guys.  She still gets her majority of
attention from going in the car with me, but that time is fast coming to
a close, with 70 plus degree temps in Jan.

The other thing is, when out as a group, people fuss over the Pyrs. and
not Su at all.  You would think a small dog would be at least as
appealing.  I know the big guys are gorgeous, but still.  I consider
politness when I do doggy greetings, and would never think to slight one
dog over another, but evidently a lot of people don't think dogs have
feelings.  It breaks my heart when she is trying so hard to get noticed,
and I worry about the effects.  I had one guy just slam her and say, " I
see no reason to even have a dog like that " give me a big dog any day.
It is his opinion of course, but she can't be expected to understand why
she doesn't get fussed over.

Su-ling is Ok, but there is still a difference, and I feel it has
sub-dued her.  We really have to work harder now to give her her full
share of attention.  Silver is quieter  and while social and friendly,
will sit back.  Polar Bear is very friendly, but not overly demanding (
usually ), Kemosabi and Ranger ( in particular ) are obnoxious attention
getters!  Maybe if Su had been younger when we got them it would have
been easier?  It is certainly a matter of sharing attention fairly, it
just may be harder to do with more, and their personalities play into it.
 She is still the absolute queen, it is just harder to make sure she
knows that!

Hope this helps, you have had a lot of feed back on this!  Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]