Re: [PyrNet-L] New Owner With Questions

Welcome Kris!

I am always amazed at the way some Vets have become.  You can't know
everything about every breed standard, but you would like to think  the
Vets had a grasp on the overall picture.  I would think that double dews
would stick in their minds, after all, they don't come up that often on
any dog!  I don't think you would want them removed, they are part of the
breed, and I find, they do use them!

Do you have any Vets in your area that do both large and small animals?
You didn't say where you were.  But if your Vet is concerned with the
size of a nine week old puppy, what will he be like when the dog is a
year, or even two?  Maybe if you find a Vet that is used to horses or
cows he won't be negative
about your pup? We live in a sheep and goat area, our Vet does fine with
the youngsters, because there is so many working Pyrs.  Although in our
case they all play and remark on the soft fluffy clean un-matted coats.
Exams take a little longer, as they wander through coats.  I get the
feeling that even they never experience the feel of a clean soft white
Pyr. coat, under normal conditions.  They are used to the ones out of the
field.

So far anesthesia has been the only thing we find .  No problems with the
heartworm.  The anesthesia worked out on a one out of four basis.  Only
Silver had a bad time of it.  But I will always be careful for them all
in the future.

Obedience training for the big guys is really important.  They are smart,
and stubborn.  My male is a giant cuddle on four legs, so we have to be
very easy and gentle with his corrections.  The girls are more hard
headed and rambunctious, so we tend to be more forceful with them.  But
none require brute force.  Although I am still having problems with Polar
Bear and Silver on the jumping up on people!!  So it is not always easy.
All of mine are super social, and learning that part has been the hardest
for them.

With the four pups ( from 8-weeks on ) I never had  a problem with biting
or nipping ( maybe they took that part out on each other? ) .  If yours
does get that way, stop the game, telling him " too rough ", eventually
along with your " No's ", he should learn that he looses the right to
play if he gets carried away.  For whatever reason...the foot is a Pyr.
thing.  Don't really know the reason for it...but it seems to be there to
stay.

Everyone is probably tired of me saying this, but I think the book " Dogs
Never Lie About Love " by
Jeffrey M. Masson, is a real must for dog people.

Hope this helps a little.  Good luck with your pup!
And I really hope you find a Vet. that can deal with him.  How awful to
grow up with  heath care provider that is afraid of you??  Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]