Re: Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr caracter, was new member

So I think we can call us lucky over here, to my knowledge there are less
then 10 cases  of aggressive behaviour official reported from the last 9
years, three of them were also people aggressive, from these three two were
euthanised. But these are the official reports, there will be also
unreported cases for shure.

But the majority of the Pyrs have a very gentle caracter. Some people who
had Pyrs since a lot af years ago are complaining that the caracter has
changed as to be too open and "friendly" towards strangers. Some stuff to
think over.

In my opinion it is because in The Netherlands the Pyr was never bred for
working as LGD (given the circumstances over here compared with the US and
other countries) but kept as companion dog.
This will not say that the guarding instinct is lost, only that it is more
adapted to the lifestyle.

You also have to keep in mind that we have a very small population of Pyrs
in The Netherlands compared with the US and other big countries. There are
about 100 - 150 Pyrs registered with the Dutch Kennel Club every year.

Ursula
Ursa's Signum - Great Pyrenees - The Netherlands
http://www.greatpyrenees.com
http://www.dutchpyr.com
e-mail: urshock@zeelandnet.nl