Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr caracter, was new member

Urs Hock wrote:

> But the majority of the Pyrs have a very gentle caracter.

Hi everyone, it has been ages since I've been able to find time for
e-mail, fun to be back! Hope you are all ok with the rain, snow and
wierd weather.  We are enjoying the warmest winter ever!  Wish our dogs
could have one good snow to play in.

I have to strongly agree with Ursula about the character of Pyrs in
general in the US as well.  Having been owned by Pyrs for more than 30
years and known many more from all areas of the US, I feel strongly that
these dogs are generally just wonderful, gentle and very good with
children, disabled people, etc as well as other animals.  I do not keep
my males together because our first male was jumped by another male
during a training class and ever thereafter wanted to fight any large
breed male dog (it just took the one incident).  However, he was always
wonderful with people and smaller animals. Unfortunately on the lists we
hear most often about dogs that have problems and sometimes this gives
an unrealistic view of the breed as a whole.

I strongly believe that temperament is primarily hereditary
.....aggresive animals will produce agressive offspring.  That is why it
is a good idea to see as many adult relatives of a pup before choosing!
In our area, we have a real problem with some irresponsible breeders who
brag about breeding 'vicious" Great Pyrenees.....very scary!
Charlotte
Virginia