Re: [PyrNet-L] Training Collars

I'd like to comment on the gentle leader collar.  As most of you know i
inherited an unruly male pyr from rescue, seamus.  he had almost no training and
was previously in a house where discipline was nonexistent (would you let BOTH
of your pyrs jump up on strangers???).  anyway, i immediately took him to
obedience school using a nylon training collar.  toward the end of each session,
seamus would decide he didn't want to trained anymore and he would go nuts, play
bowing, running around, biting me when i corrected him, you get the picture.  so
that trainer suggested a choke chain collar, which was totally ineffective for
stopping these bouts of rebellion.  then he recommended the gentle leader.  i
also took him to tufts vet school (where they're handing out prozac to dogs left
and right) where the doctor told me basically the same thing, that if i used the
gentle leader collar and did the corresponding training (made me watch a 15
minute video) seamus would get better.  i'm finally getting to my point...

i don't think the gentle leader works with all dogs.  what we found was that it
had a band-aid effect--when we had it on, he had no choice but to comply, but he
wasn't LEARNING.  he was being forced to comply with our commands but there was
no stimulus/response reinforcement going on.  when he wasn't on the gentle
leader, he would pull his same old crap.

we are now with a new trainer who has worked out great.  we went back to the
good ole fashioned prong collar (which i know some pyr owners would never put on
their dogs) and it has worked wonders.  nothing else has worked.  we put that
dog through more boot camp than a marine recruit, all with no subsequent changes
in behavior.  the prong collar has worked wonders for us and he is finally
listening to us when we give him commands.

so the moral is whatever works for you, do it!  this is only relevant for adult
dogs, with puppies i'm in total agreement  about nylon flat collars.

anyway, my 2 cents

susan

"Jay Manwiller" <pyrjam@zdial.com> on 03/16/99 09:00:43 AM

Please respond to pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org