Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Pyr males

OK, I can recount to the list two different reports of male Pyrs fighting.
This first one I saw the results of myself. I have a friend who has 2 male
Pyrs, both neutered. The second male they got when he was about 8 months
old. The first male was approx.. 5 years old when they got the younger pup.
All went well until the younger male turned 14 months old. Then the trouble
started. Small things at first, a growl here, a show of teeth there. All
signs of aggression were stopped at once by the owners. All aggression was
initiated by the 5 year old male. The younger dog would leave the area in a
submissive manner. At some point the older male "jumped" the younger dog.
The younger fought back to protect himself. While separating the two the
female owner was bitten and had to have several stitches in her forearm. No
fault of the dogs really, they didn't know they were biting her. From this
point forward the males were kept separate. This is a home situation, not a
kennel one. The younger dog learned how to open the sliding glass door.
While the older dog was inside, the younger outside, the younger dog opened
the slider and came inside. A fight ensued. The older dog ripped an upper
canine right out of his mouth on the younger dogs face. The younger dog had
severe lacerations to his muzzle and several deep puncture wounds. The
younger dog is OK but the vet bill ran around $400.00. The older dog is OK
but missing a canine. The owner is OK but has a nasty scar on her forearm
(from the previous fight).
     Story number 2. This one I heard from someone. I did not know the
owners or the dogs personally. People owned 2 male Pyrs, both neutered. Ages
3 years and 5 years. Always got along, never any aggression. Older dog
dominant, younger very submissive. One day they got into a fight. Younger
dog (after much fighting) killed the older dog. Younger dog subsequently had
to be destroyed as wounds sustained in the fight were irreparable. Unless I
have a kennel situation where I know I can safely keep male Pyrs separate I
will never own 2 males!

Barb Bowes, NJ down at the shore!
Bo, Molly, Chelsea & Flopsy the Pyr Shep