Re: Re: [PyrNet-L] Destructive chewing

I've done the chew wars; it ain't fun! Glad the e-mail below was written,
cause it saves me the effort. Read below twice, and I agree.
Interesting enough, we had chewing dogs up until Hoover. Serious chewing,
where we had to confine the dogs to the basement while we were at work. Then
they decided to eat the motorcycle!! This didn't go over well at all. With
Hoover we really worked with positive supervision, substituting toys, making
them available and attractive, and she was our first non- chewer. Each dog
since has been a non-chewer, as if learning from her. Before her they learned
to chew from each other!

Kathy & critters

<<It's all chew toys to a dog.  Depending on how correction is done
will just cause them to wait til you're gone and go for it.  If the
owner is not there it's I can go do it.  I have one who's great at food
stealing, surfing counters, etc and will only do it when I'm out of a
room or gone.  Don't give him access to anything but chew toys
unless is actively supervised.  Confine him if necessary while gone.
 Get him hooked on the chew toys, make them attractive and
interesting and give him no other choices but the chew toys and
playing interactive games incorporating the toys.  Redirect to a
chew toy when guesses wrong.  After started putting measures in
place restricting access for awhile, start giving full access under
close supervision and redirect to a chew toy when guesses wrong.
Accomplished through sting operations, set the dog up to make
the mistake (spying) to catch them in the act and redirect to his
own chewies.

Hollow bones, Kong toys, buster cubes are good......things you
can put food or stuff goodies like peanut butter in.  Chew ropes can
be made attractive by dipping in soup stock and allowing to dry.
Put part of dinner in a toy.  Have a super treat for being such a
good dog and chewing the right stuff.  Really praise it up for
choosing the right chew articles.

Teach something like "give" to give you a wrong article and replace
with a correct chew article.