Re: [PyrNet-L] Destructive chewing

On 21 Mar 99, at 10:44, Jane Gill wrote:

>   Sometimes we end up having to board our dogs
> unexpectedly.  We just have no choice.  And sometimes they need to stay
> overnight or whatever at the vets.  Letting them have that experience at a
> young age can be a good thing to add to their doggie repertoire. (In fact,
> my sister had been urging me to board Weezie for a weekend even if we
> weren't going anywhere for just that reason.  My rational mind said, yes,
> that's not a bad idea.  And then my irrational side would start to
> hyperventilate.)  (g)

I work at a boarding kennel part time and the owner recommends people
bring their dogs in for an ' overniter', if they plan an extended
trip.  This is recommended for dogs who have never been boarded.  The
dog then knows the owner will be back for them and are less stressed.

I will never forget 'Our Nell', a funny little dog that was so
stressed that she hid in the back of the kennel, would not come out
to eat or even poop or pee. As she became more comfortable, we would
let her out to exercise and play, with a 25' lead, so we could catch
her and get her back into the kennel.  The owner was planning a long
trip and knew her dog well, so would leave Nell with us frequently,
for short stays. Nell got special attention, even the cottage cheese
she loves.  The long trip was taken and Nell was queen of the kennel
during her time with us.  Now when Nell visits us, she is placed in
the first kennel, where she oversees all the activities, in her eyes
she is head dog while she is there. Nell sure has come a long way.
Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico