[PyrNet-L] [pyrNet-L] Zoe attacked by a GSD

Hi everyone, some advice would be appreciated!
Yesterday morning my husband went on his normal walk down to the neighborhood
park with Zoe and Cooper. There is a GSD that lives in a house that backs up
to this park. We have talked to the owners before and know them well enough to
exchange dog stories once in while. They usually, but not always, have him on
a leash (if they see us they call him and put him on lead). On this particular
morning he was off lead and playing with their teenage son in their yard. My
husband saw him(GSD) come running toward them and thought he was going to
stop, but instead went into a full blown attack on Zoe, who just turned 1 yr.
old  a week ago. My husband had the dogs on a coupler, and pulled back on the
lead, trying to break them apart. Thats when Cooper's whole mane puffed way up
and he took the GSD down (yeah Cooper). My husband put himself in a very
dangerous position next. Since the GSD was not backing down, and kept trying
to get at Zoe, he grabbed the GSD and threw him down, actually quite a few
times until the son came and took the dog away.
They came home, and Zoe had a puncture wound on the top of her nose, that was
bleeding on top and out her nostril. I called the people's house and the boy
said his parents weren't home, so I asked him if the dog was up to date on his
shots, and he said he had him in last week. I told the boy to have his parents
call me as soon as they got home. In the mean time, I called MSU(on call
facility my vet uses) and they said we should bring her in. The puncture wound
did go into the nasal cavity, but they irrigated it, and put her on
antibiotics. The husband came over to the house and was very upset (as he
should be) and very apologetic. Covered the medical bills, plus gave us a gift
certificate to the local pet supply store. Of course I'm the over emotional
one (so my husband says), he says to forget about it.These things happen.
Well, it wouldn't have happened if they had had the dog on a leash.
The part I'm having problems with, is taking the dogs for their daily walks by
myself.
We've been working so hard with the dogs, because they lunge at other dogs. We
have made great headway with them not lunging at other dogs. Will Zoe and
Cooper remember and be more dog aggressive then ever? Will this have lasting
effects on Zoe? Did we treat this right with the GSD owner and call it good?
Is there some kind of protection device I can carry with me in case this
happens again. I guess I am going to have to take one dog at a time on daily
walks from now on.
Any input would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Becky, Cooper and Zoe