Re: [PyrNet-L] BREDDING:American verses French

Judith, Many years ago I was told that the Pyr was bred down in size
to try to get a sounder Pyr. In other words, trying to reduce the
instance of hip dysplasia. My dogs, while a bit smaller, tend to look
more like the "old style" Pyr. Elegant in body, head and movement.
This, to me, is true Pyrenees type. True type is other things to other
people. They are entitled to their opinions also. Most good breeders
want to breed a dog that is structurally correct, with good
temperament and as few health problems as is humanly possible. Anyone
who is going to decide to breed should do their homework in these
areas. I'd rather see a Pyr that is coarse headed and with too much
bone than one who is elegant and lovely headed but with major
structural defects or health problems. Responsible breeders do the
best they can to produce a Pyrenees that is to their liking that is
both sound of body and temperament. Sometimes they may look a little
different than what we may envision to be the "perfect" Pyrenees but
to each breeder the interpretation of the standard may be a little
different than what ours may be. You know what you like, I know what I
like and someone else knows what they like.

Barb Bowes, NJ down at the shore!
Bo, Molly, Chelsea & Flopsy the Pyr Shep
bamb@monmouth.com