[PyrNet-L] early spaying/neutering

   I am an avid advocate for early spaying and neutering.  Albert's litter
was neutered/spayed at 8 weeks of age except for 2 of them.  They recovered
so quickly and from the time he came home Albert never seemed like he had
undergone surgery at all.  He seemed just as eager to play and frolic around
as before.  I have noticed that the two that were not neutered/spayed early
were the two that were the meanest of the litter, especially the female.  The
male's face is all scarred up from fighting with the other dogs that live
with him. The female cannot even be controlled with a prong collar at all. I
guess the male was finally neutered, but the scars remain.  (They were sold
with a spay/neuter contract that they should have it done by age 6 mos., but
one waited about a year and the female I believe is still unspayed.)
Albert's unneutered dad ran away for almost a week following a female in
heat. I have had about 35 dogs and all but 2 were rescue dogs.  I had them
all spayed or neutered. They were all wonderful pets and were so sweet and
never had a mean bone in their bodies. I never had any problems associated
with them being spayed or neutered.  The one dog that I had that I did not
neuter until he was older I wished that I had neutered him much earlier. He
was 4 years old when I got him and was always a bit more hyper than I liked.
He became a much better pet after I had him neutered. Calmer and more gentle
and affectionate without being overwhelming. I would never hesitate a bit to
have a pet neutered at 8 weeks of age, as I believe the research shows that
it is safer and recuperation is much easier, plus they do not develope as
many bad habits.
   Plus you do not add to the numbers of rescue dogs out there that way, by
having your dog contribute to the problem.

Janice Vocke
MagEBroD@aol.com
Shelton, WA.