Re: [PyrNet-L] early spaying/neutering

Cindy -

Kerry wrote:
>Whether the dog is 8 weeks or older, the surgery for testicles that
>have dropped is the same.  If the testicles have not dropped, the
>surgery is the same regardless of age.

I have had 3 pups who had 1 undescended testicle (and 1 descended) at 8
weeks.  On one of the pups, the vet went in and found the testicle then and
there and removed it.  The pup had an incision up the abdomen similar in
size to the females spayed at that age.  He came through this just fine -
took a day to get back to his playful puppy self whereas the other pups woke
up & were their playful puppy selves immediately.  On the other two pups -
one testicle was removed but we decided to wait a week or two instead of
going inside for the other one (because it is just an exterior surgery if
the testicle descends).  One of these males testicles dropped during the
next week and was then removed (about 2 weeks after the first one) with
practically no scar at all!  The other male's testicle did not drop, and he
waited to complete his neuter until later, so he could begin learning his
livestock guardian abilities from an older brother!  <g>

In the end, an undescended testicle needs to be removed anyway, for it can
cause problems if it is not.  If it remains undescended, an incision must be
made into the abdomen anyway.

Patti Brunkala
menditar@grrtech.com