Re: [PyrNet-L] Rescue ,was markings & size

On 8 May 99, at 7:37, clhenke@juno.com wrote:

> Today in the Dallas Paper there was 15 ads. for Pyrs.  Usually there is
> one, two tops.  A  two year old in the pound too ( is that one our rescue
> group has talked about, for anyone else reading this? )  I hate seeing the
> number of pups up so high.  Better to be few, so people have to look and
> research them!

In the past several weeks our club has received calls on 3 pyrs in
shelters, several referrals from National rescue, several calls about
problem dogs.  Just when we shuffle things around and think we have a
place for a rescue to be fostered, another call.

The Albuquerque Journal has been full of puppy ads, Pyr Pups for
$150, ah, it's spring! Our club ran an ad and we received 2
fence. I have personally sent out 5 home evaluation forms in the past
month.  None have been returned.

Several of our approved homes got tired of waiting for a female and
went out and bought pups. Other homes were not approved because of
fencing. Others who expressed interest in a pyr are busy now. No one
wants to foster. On the up side, we will have a breed info booth at
the Enchanted Cluster Show in Albuquerque next weekend. Just maybe we
can prevent one rescue, prevent one buyer from getting a pup through
a newspaper ad, find one home and find one foster home.

My friend who has rotts thinks our breed is facing the extreme
popularity that the Rottweiler breed experienced 5 years ago. It did
level off with the rotts, we will all have to do our part with our
breed or we are going to be in big trouble.

The thing that bothers me the most, is when I question people about
where they got their pyr, the reply is; "some guy in Sandia Crest,
someone in Santa Fe, you know down south". When I ask whether they
have contacted their breeder about a problem or placing their dog,
they have not.  They can never remember the name of the *breeder*
they got their dog from. So we have no way of reaching these breeders
for support and education.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico